The purpose of Washington’s Child Outcome Measurement System (COMS) is to assure stakeholders that early intervention makes a difference for infants, toddlers and families. Families are a crucial source of information about their children, and this enhances the quality of the data. The COMS is one way for families to see their child’s progress and to give input on program improvements. The data is analyzed at state and local levels to help improve services and meet federal and state reporting requirements.
COS Materials for Providers
Virtual COS Decision Tree
Virtual COS Decision Tree*
This version of the decision tree makes completing the COS during virtual home visits much easier. It can also be used on a tablet or laptop when in-person with families. Not compatible with Internet Explorer browser, use Chrome, Firefox or Edge.
Instructions for using the Virtual Decision Tree (view a recording)
- Get together with the family and as much of the IFSP team as possible
- Follow the link above and click “present”
- Click “What is the COS Decision Tree” to get started
- Select the first global outcome area to discuss and continue using prompts on the right side of the tool
- You will end with the descriptor statement for that outcome area including the corresponding rating in the lower left corner
- When ready to move to the next outcome area, move the mouse to the far right of the screen. Click on the house to go back to the beginning.
*Developed by Lindsey Hartman, SPED, MA, and Nellie Ward, Early Intervention Program Coordinator/Lead FRC with A Step Ahead in Pierce County
COS Materials for Families
COS Training Materials
- Training Activity - Emmanuel’s Summary of Functional Performance
- Training Activity - Age Anchoring Tool for Outcome 2
- Training Materials - Training Slides