We are committed to placing children and youth with kinship caregivers!
Kinship caregivers have two options:
- Get licensed as a foster parent
- Complete a home study
We encourage you to get licensed because you’ll be completing most of the steps by getting a home study, and licensing comes with the most ongoing financial support and resources that DCYF can provide.
Steps to Become a Licensed Caregiver
Please let your assigned worker know if you need help or if you cannot meet any requirement.
Complete an Application in the Washington Caregiver Application Portal (WA CAP) by Binti
- Kinship caregivers that already had a child placed in their home by DCYF will be sent a link to WA CAP.
- Kin that are being considered for placement by a child's DCYF caseworker will be sent a link, too.
- You will enter your name, address, date of birth, and other information about you and your family, including agreeing to a background check. We are committed to placing children in kinship homes, and many crimes do not prevent licensing. Talk about your individual circumstance with your assigned worker.
Meet with Staff for Home Visits and Interviews
After you turn in your foster home application, you will be assigned a worker. The assigned worker will connect with you, and:
- Complete interviews, both in-person and virtually. At least one interview must happen in your home and include the home inspection.
- Review the Foster Home Licensing Inspection Checklist, to learn what licensing staff are looking for.
- Interview household members, including your children.
- Contact your adult children (if you have adult children).
- For couples, licensing staff will complete at least one interview with both adults and another interview with each adult individually.
Your Assigned Worker will Complete a Home Study
The home study is a report that your assigned worker will complete when they are finished collecting information from you.
The home study puts together all the information gathered during the licensing process and shows that you are able to provide a safe, healthy, and nurturing home. You will get to review a draft of your home study before it is final and be given a copy of the completed home study.
Licensing Process Road Map
The licensing process takes approximately 120 days from application to license.
Follow along and track where you’re at in the licensing process:
Complete Training within Three Years if You Want to Stay Licensed
Once you are licensed, you will need to complete Kinship Core Training within three years of getting licensed.
- Kinship Core Training (KCT)