The Alliance offers multiple trainings related to adoption to provide information and support to pre-adoptive and adoptive parents. Learn more about the offerings:
Introduction to Adoption from Foster Care
This 3-hour in-service training for caregivers provides an introduction to the adoption process including the home study, adoption support, the legal process and steps to adoption. This training is open to all participants--those who have not taken Caregiver Core Training, those who have, and those who are using the training as a field placement. This training helps caregivers consider their decisions around public and private agencies and whether to foster to adopt or pursue adoption only. The focus of the training is understanding the process including the emotional impacts of commitment, changing your family, grieving and attachment. The training also covers open adoptions, the placement process, and supportive resources.
Advanced Adoption Training: The Effects of Trauma and Loss on Adopted Children
This training is designed for caregivers who are pursuing or considering adopting and have knowledge beyond the introductory level. The class will prepare you to recognize the issues related to trauma, grief, and loss for adopted children. Participants will leave with resources to guide them in connecting with supports within and outside the department to assist in the creation of an adoptive family that encourages individual and family wellbeing.
The training also covers:
- Understanding the adoption process and identifying your ideals and goals as an adoptive parent
- Identifying the impact of trauma, loss, and Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES) on brain development
- Identifying behaviors that are trauma based
- Understanding the various types of attachment and how to work with you and your child’s attachment style
- Understanding the resources available to adoptive parents and how to access supports for your family
Adoption Support (eLearning for Caregivers)
This short eLearning will answer your questions about how and why adoption support services are offered, what adoption support services exist, and how to access them.