A professional development system is a comprehensive framework of professional preparation and ongoing learning support for early childhood and school-age professionals across a variety of roles, settings and sectors. Professional development encompasses the methods of relationship-based professional development, training as well as higher education.
Relationship-Based Professional Development
Relationship-based professional development (RBPD) is defined as using professional relationships as a primary method to support the growth and development of adult learners. RBPD is a framework that uses a cycle of inquiry to facilitate the adult-learning process by taking individuals through steps of goal setting, observation, assessment, action planning, reflection and feedback.
Standards for Relationship-based Professionals
RBPD standards describe the foundational skills and knowledge that professionals must have in order to apply reflective, relationship-based strategies to job-related improvements.
- Relationship-Based Professional Development Standards
- Criterios de desarrollo para profesionales que se basan en las relaciones (español)
- Relationship-Based Professional Development Standards FAQ’s
State-approved training offers ongoing learning opportunities to support early learning professionals in mastering the core competencies, foundational concepts in child and youth development and program administration.
Trainers may offer in-service (STARS) hours by:
- Providing workshops
- Hosting online trainings
- Facilitating professional learning communities
Interested in becoming a State-approved Trainer?
If you are interested in become a state-approved trainer, we invite you to complete the trainer approval process.
Trainer Approval Process instructions | Spanish
The DCYF professional development system is built upon the guiding frameworks.
State-approved trainers must use these to make decisions regarding training development & delivery.
- Core Competencies for Early Care and Education Professionals
- Core Competencies for Child and Youth Development Professionals
- Washington State Early Learning and Development Guidelines
- Standards of Practice and Professionalism for State-approved Training
- Estándares de practica y profesionalidad para capacitadores aprobados por el estado (español)
- NAEYC Professional Code of Ethics
- State-Approved Trainer Standards
- Estándares para capacitadores (español)
- Nature-Based Learning Competencies publication