Families in Crisis

Where can I turn if I'm in crisis with my child?

While the Adoption Support Program includes many benefits for our children and families post-adoption, there are also limitations to the program and to the consultants' roles. We are unable to provide ongoing intensive case management as assigned workers do with dependent children and their families. However, we are still here to help you the best we can by connecting you to available resources and supports.

*If Coordinated Care is your primary coverage, please contact them first as services have been integrated to include medical, mental, and behavioral health.

Health Care & Medical

Coordinated Care/Apple Health Core Connections

  • Telephone: 1-844-354-9876

Foster/Adoption Support Medical Team

  • Telephone: 1-800-562-3022 ext. 15480

Mental & Behavioral Health

Washington State Behavioral Health and Recovery

Children's Long-term Inpatient Program (CLIP)

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 24/7

  • Telephone: 1-800-273-8255

Washington Recovery Helpline (24-hour help for substance abuse, problem gambling, and mental health)

  • Telephone: 1-866-789-1511

National Alliance for Mental Health (NAMI)

Adoption Support Preauthorized Counseling Program

Evidence-Based Practices (Adoption Support EBP Pre-Authorization)


CPS Intake/Voluntary Services

  • 1-866-END-HARM
  • If the Adoption Support Program is not able to support families post-adoption by connecting them to resources, we are required to refer you back to your local DCYF office or CPS intake line (1-866-363-4276). You can also contact CPS intake to request voluntary services or assistance in filing an At-Risk Youth petition.


Developmental Disabilities Administration

Juvenile Court Services

At-Risk Youth (ARY) petition - An ARY petition is a request from a child's parent or legal guardian to the Juvenile Court to assist the parent in maintaining the health and safety of their youth or the youth they are legally responsible for. ARY petitions can be filed for youth who are under the age of 18 and at least one of the following:

  • Absent from home for at least 72 consecutive hours without parental consent
  • Beyond parental control to the extent that their behavior threatens the health, safety, or welfare of the child or any other person
  • Has a substance abuse problem for which there are no pending criminal charges related to the substance abuse; and
  • The petitioner has the right to legal custody

Child in Need of Services (CHINS) petition - The purpose of a Child in Need of Services (CHINS) petition is to obtain a court order mandating the placement of a child in a residence other than their parent's home because a serious conflict exists between the parent and child. The placement is temporary, and the goal of CHINS is reunification of the family. This action is taken when the conflict in the home cannot be resolved, and reasonable efforts have been made to prevent the removal of the child from the parental home. CHINS petitions may be filed by a child under 18, parent/legal guardian, or the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS). ARY and CHINS petition processes vary depending on where you live. Please contact your local county juvenile court division on filing a petition in your county.

Teen Resources

Team Child

Other Resources

Washington Information Network 2-1-1 - Search an online directory of health and human service programs to find resources like food banks (food pantries), emergency shelters, transportation, health clinics, rent or utilities assistance, legal help, and many more.