All adoption records are confidential in accordance with State and Federal laws.
For adoptions completed through DCYF and families who adopted a child in state foster care, adoption records are archived through the DCYF headquarters office in Olympia.
Washington State does not have a central registry, from which a search for a biological parent or child can be accessed. In order to gain access to confidential identifying information, a court order must be obtained. Washington State utilizes court-appointed confidential intermediaries to assist in the search process.
Following is information on Washington State laws governing the release of information:
- Confidential Intermediaries (RCW 26.33.343)
- Noncertified copies of original birth certificate (RCW 26.33.345)
- Consent or refusal to release adoptee's identifying information (RCW 26.33.347)
- Washington Adoption Reunion Movement (WARM)
- Adoption Search in Washington State
To obtain non-identifying information for children who have been adopted through DCYF, a written request must be submitted to:
DCYF Public Records
Fax (360) 407-5571
PO Box 40992
Olympia, WA 98504-0992
- Date of birth and adoptive name
- Name of adoptive parents
- Return mailing address
For private adoptions, contact the agency that facilitated the adoption.