Utilizing this Negotiated Rule Making (NRM) approach, DCYF’s Licensing Division (LD) has begun the process of creating new licensing WAC for residential private schools. This NRM project is associated with the Senate Bill 5515, along with the mission, vision, values, and guiding principles of DCYF.
What is Negotiated Rule Making?
Negotiated Rule Making (NRM) is a way to develop rules by seeking consensus from delegates representing groupings of similar parties impacted by the rule. Utilizing the NRM approach to rule making has several benefits, such as:
- Providing greater public access to rulemaking
- Creating more culturally and developmentally appropriate rules
- A better understanding of rule intent and increased compliance with rules
- August 2023-Dec. 30, 2023 – Research and collaborative planning
- Jan. 1, 2024 – Residential Private Shool NRM project kicks off
- January-September 2024 – Rule drafting, rule making, rule filing and public comment
- October 2024-January 2025 – Creation of licensing structure, process, policies/procedures, forms, and IT development.
- February 2025-June 2025 – pilot project, testing, staff and provider training
- June 2025 – Go Live
Ways to Engage
To accommodate individual participant schedules, commitment ability, level of investment, etc., folks can participate in the NRM project by:
- Providing recommended changes to the current WAC through the NRM email
- Staying connected through the RPS NRM webpage and provide feedback as negotiated WAC are posted for review.
- Participating as an in-person negotiation participant grouping representative
If you have questions and/or need additional information regarding the RPS NRM project, email firstname.lastname@example.org.