The ETV Program provides financial assistance to youth in care and youth aging out of care to attend an accredited college, university, vocational or technical college. The maximum ETV award students can receive is $5,000 per academic year. ETV awards are based on the Cost of Attendance (COA) formula established by the student's college and any unmet need they may have within their financial aid award. ETV awards may help pay for tuition, books and supplies, housing, transportation and other eligible educational expenses.
Youth may be eligible if they are enrolled in an accredited college, university, vocational or technical college and meet any one of the following:
- Are 16 to 20 years old, and are currently a dependent in a Washington State or tribal court, are in the care and custody of the Department of Social and Health Services or a tribal child welfare agency.
- Are 18 to 20 years old and exited state or tribal foster care.
- Were adopted or placed in a relative dependency guardianship on or after the age of 16.
- Youth who exited foster care in a state other than Washington may be eligible for the Washington ETV program.
- Youth who participated and received ETV funds prior to age 21 are eligible until age 23.
How to Apply
The ETV application is available online at: www.independence.wa.gov. Applications received January 1 to April 30 will receive priority funding. All applications received after April 30 may be placed on a waiting list and awarded on a funds available basis. The application cycle closes on July 31.
ETV Dual Credit Program
Youth earning credits toward their high school diploma, and college or university credits towards a degree or certificate may be eligible for the ETV Dual Credit Program. Dual Credit programs such as Running Start cover tuition costs. However it is up to the student and/or family to cover the fees, books and supplies, and transportation costs. The ETV Dual Credit Program helps pay for these additional costs. The maximum award is $2,000 per academic year, which is $1,000 per semester or $667 per quarter. Summer term tuition is not covered by the high school and is not an eligible term for the ETV Dual Credit Program.
How to Apply
The ETV Dual Credit application is available online at: www.independence.wa.gov, year round and there is no deadline date.