Founded Findings of Child Abuse and Neglect Notifications

If you received notification of a founded or substantiated finding of child abuse or neglect (CA/N) and have questions, please call 1-800-998-3878 and press the prompt for founded findings. Leave a message providing the following information:

  • Name and date of birth, including previous names used
  • Telephone number and e-mail address where we may send correspondence
  • A brief message regarding the purpose of the call
  • Speak slowly and spell out your name and email address 

Request information by email to with the following information:

  • Your full name, telephone number, email address and a brief description of the purpose of your background check and how you learned of the founded finding.
  • Provide in the body of your e-mail:
    • Full name and any other names used.
    • Date of birth.
    • Last four digits of your social security number.
    • Current phone number and current mailing address.
    • Estimated date/year of CPS involvement.
    • The OCA number from the background check result, and the date of the notice.
    • State whether the unit has permission to leave a confidential voicemail or e-mail.
    • Once received and research completed, results are sent by encrypted e-mail.

The Founded Finding unit will:

  • Check the status of the founded finding.
  • Confirm that you were provided notice of the founded and were given an opportunity to request a review.
  • Determine if further review is needed.
  • If a founded finding decision is reversed, the unit will notify the Background Check Central Unit, so a new letter may be issued.

Founded findings may remain in your record history:

  • When the case is closed.
  • Even if no criminal charges were filed.
  • Children either remained with you or were returned to your care.  

If you wish to obtain records related to your founded finding, contact the DCYF Public Disclosure Unit by phone or email:

Is criminal history disqualifying you from employment?

Consider filing for a Certificate of Restoration of Opportunity (C.R.O.P.). To access more information, go to Washington Courts, Court Forms.